• Google Plus
  • Pinterest
  • You Tube
  • Rss

GoFundMe Shuts Down Campaign For Walter Scott Shooter, Michael Slager



GoFundMe is not here for any fundraising efforts to assist South Carolina officer, Michael Slager, responsible for shooting and killing unarmed black man, Walter Scott, last week.

The crowd-funding platform rejected a campaign in an effort to support Slager and his legal defense.

Slager, 33, was charged with first-degree murder, on Tuesday, after an incriminating video footage reveals that Scott, 50, was actually running away from the officer when he was shot multiple times. The video footage also reveals Slager planting a taser next to Scott’s body in an attempt to claim-defense in the wrongful shooting death.

GoFundMe confirmed it removed a campaign supporting Slager, who was fired Wednesday.

“After review by our team, the campaign set up for Officer Slager was removed from GoFundMe due to a violation of our Terms and Conditions,” Kelsea Little, GoFundMe’s public relations manager, told ThinkProgress via email.

Details on exactly which terms and conditions were breached were not disclosed due to privacy protections. GoFundMe can only “discuss the details of campaigns with the organizers,” Little said.

News of the campaign having been removed began circulating on Twitter after the campaign’s organizer who has set up a Twitter account supporting Officer Slager tweeted that GoFundMe rejected the page.

What are your thoughts on the matter sweethearts? We’re actually pleasantly surprised that the crowd-funding site made this decision and, quite frankly, we support it.

Think Progress


About Author