Since the late rapper Notorious B.I.G coined the phrase “player hater” in the late 90’s, and popularized by Mase and Diddy‘s 1997 single, “Can’t Nobody Hold Me Down,” the word “hater” has been used quite frequently.
In case you don’t already know, a hater is a person who typically cannot be happy for another person’s success. Instead they make a point of exposing a flaw in that person. They’ll often demonstrate intense dislike; extreme aversion or hostility toward that person.
Here are five signs to properly identify whether you or a friend you know is a bonafied hater.
1. You’re Always Mad: You can’t seem to be happy for anyone else or situation where you’re not the center of attention.
2. You’re Envious: Can someone else have their moment please? Everything is not about you, but, we’re betting you’d prefer it that way. You often question why someone else is being rewarded or have attained success from their hard work. It’s often the same kind of success you desire but haven’t worked hard in attaining.
3. You Get Jealous Easily: Seeing another/others get close to a loved one, in any capacity, angers you. Again, unless you’re involved you’re unable to respect or celebrate in another person’s happiness.
4. You Jump At Any Opportunity To Point Out Someone Else’s Flaw: Granted no one is perfect, except for you of course. While you fail to be accountable for, and acknowledge, your own flaws, you’re really quick at noticing and pointing out others’.
5. You’re Eager To Believe Lies Meant To Damage Ones Reputation: Jesus could reveal himself to you and you’d still say he isn’t real. You revel in hearing and reporting on news or speculation that’s damaging to a person’s reputation, especially someone who you feel disdain towards.
If this is you, you should be the valedictorian of the PHD (Player Hater Degree) program.
Sweethearts, are you or do you know a friend with all five characteristics? Do share.