Tracy Balan, a native Brooklynite and hair stylist, has spent almost all her life honing her expertise in all things beauty. After being gifted her own life-size beauty salon for Christmas when she was eight years old, she knew then that she wanted to become a hair stylist. On her passion for doing hair Tracy says, “I love being able to transform people.”
Now, she’s sharing some of her best kept secrets on just how she keeps her celebrity clients and their hair looking chic. Here are ten easy-to-follow tips on keeping your own hair looking fabulous.
1. Prevent frizz and speed up your drying time by using paper towel to wring water from your hair after shower. The paper won’t create as much friction as a towel, so you end up less frizzy. Also a paper towel absorbs more water than a cloth towel, speeding up your drying time.
2. When tweezing, make sure you soften your skin before you start by dabbing a cotton ball soaked in warm water or cream. When tweezing, do so in the direction of your hair’s growth.
3. To stretch your hair color you can use DIY home glaze. Glazes fill holes and rough spots in your hair shafts, helping smooth your mane and putting moisture back into your hair. This will keep your color shiny, bright and lasting longer.
4. Get moisture back into your skin in half the time by using hair conditioner to moisturize your hair and body. Just massage it in head to toe in the shower, rinse and dry. The conditioner will moisturize just as well as body lotion.< 5. If you run out of makeup remover, use body lotion or Olive oil with a cotton ball to remove makeup. It also works well on tough mascara.
6. Get more for your money, by applying styling products 10 minutes before you style. Whether you are curling, straightening, or doing an updo, applying product 10 minutes in advance helps it fully absorb into your hair.
7. Refreshen makeup in a snap. Lightly mist your face with toner, then pat with a tissue. Finish up with a dusting of loose powder to seal everything back into place.
8. A quick way to hide new growth or grey hair if you dont have time to get a color retouch. Simple use mascara if you have dark hair. For blondes or redheads try dusting your roots with eye shadow or bronzing powder then seal with hair spray.
9. To get smoother result when shaving legs, wait until after your shower to shave. The steam softens hairs for closer shave and smoother results.
10. Two tricks to stop flyaway hair. Spray Static Guard on your comb or brush. Or you can yous a dryer sheet on your hair.